Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Can We Talk?

So...I've started my new bible study at BVG. This time around we are studying a book called "Can We Talk: Soul Stirring Conversations with God" by Priscilla Shrier.



It is not the typical type of bible study material that I usually do. I am a devoted pupil of my favorite bible teacher, Beth Moore. When I first saw that this season's bible study material was not going to be a Beth Moore study...I must admit that I was a bit disappointed but quickly got over that the first night of the study. This study is going to be so great! It is focused on teaching or more so, facilitating a way for us to have a meainingful conversation with the Lord. It follows five pretty simple steps when reading a passage of scripture.

Here they are:

1. Position yourself to hear from God
2. Pore of the passage and Paraphrase it in your own words
3. Pull out any scriptural lessons learned
4. Pose a life question based on the scriptural lessons pulled out
5. Plan and Pin down a date to act upon what lessons have been learned

Pretty cool huh?!

You should try this format sometime when you are spending time in the Word. They've been helpful to me so far to truly get into the Word and internalize lessons that God wants me to learn.
I am so excited to see where God will lead me over the next six weeks while I pour over His word and He teaches me. I can trust Him to teach me because his word says,

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

3 comments:

Holly said...

I just found your blog and I'm glad I did.. that looks lie a great study. I may just start that too!! :) Enjoy your book and I'm looking forward to reading more from you.

katiegfromtennessee said...

Hey Bethany:)

This devotional sounds very good!:) I took down those 5 points to look over. I have done Daniel, it is very good too:) I think I am going to be doing Esther by Beth next:)

Blessings to you,

katiegfromtennessee

Staci said...

How are ya girl?? Hope your 2009 is going well so far!!